Friday, August 20, 2010

What You Can Do to Help Stop the Overuse and Unnecessary Use of Restraint and Seclusion In Your State

In order to create change, we must work together to fight this as a group. We cannot do this alone. If you or someone you love has been restrained or placed in seclusion, or if you want the overuse and abuse of restraint and seclusion to stop, here are some things you can do in your state:

1.  Contact The Protection and Advocacy (P&A) System and Client Assistance Program (CAP) in your state.

2.  If your child has been physically restrained in school, file written complaints with your state DOE about your situation in regards to your child being restrained or put in seclusion. This may not do much but at least it will be documented and on file. This will create a paper trail.

3.  Contact your state legislatures and make them aware of the restraint and seclusion problem families are having in your state. Start with a letter, follow up with a phone call and then a meeting in person. Suggest that a bill be created or a current law be updated to protect children with disabilities in the public school system. You will need the support of other families and advocacy groups to get this accomplished.
State Legislatures Internet Links

4.  Contact your local Media and share your story.
Media Tool Kit from APRAIS

5.  Report abuse to your local Child Protection Agency. Note: Most Child protection agencies do not have any authority over public schools but most will go in and investigate and write up a report. Paper trail.

6.  Take pictures of any marks or bruises on your child's body and document, document, document.

7.  Work with other families to create your own state group to stop restraint and seclusion on our children in the public school system.

8.  Encourage parents to follow the above tips for what to do if their child has been or is suspected to have been restrained or placed in seclusion at school.

Please remember, if you do nothing then nothing will ever change.

If you need help with any of the above, contact us at or